Custom Search

Resolved Windows 7 .exe Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fords8, Dec 12, 2011.

1. fords8 Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
    So far today I have fixed 2 Windows 7 .exe file associations issues. So I thought I would post here and tell the fix that I have used.

Go here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exeasso.htm and download the exefix_xp.com and run it.

The above one I have tryed and it did work on Windows 7. The below one I have not tryed or downloaded, but it is labeled for Windows 7.

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip

Maybe if a admin has used both of these, they can tell us what they found out. If anything!
  2. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    I checked out the reg file fix w7 and the exefix_xp, but the exefix_xp does not look right to me at all especially for Windows 7

It should look something like this;

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    @="Application"
    "EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
    "FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
      00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
      32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
      00,2c,00,2d,00,31,00,30,00,31,00,35,00,36,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"
    "IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"
    "IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
    @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\UserChoice]

All you need to do is add which ever exe file you want to restore then manually delete the Userchoice HKEY to restore that exe file association.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ FileExts \ EXAMPLE.EXE_FILE \ UserChoice

Personally I would recommend doing registry fixes manually for 2 reasons, you then know exactly what is being changed or deleted, I have seen to many get caught out with these reg files.

Besides it is a good way to learn about the registries doing things manually. :wink:
  3. fords8 Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    The 2 rigs I worked on nothing worked for exe. Regedit and restore and so on. Was going to do the manual regedit fix first.

And most people won't understand all that you typed out.

The exefix_xp fix worked on both Windows 7 rigs! Of course use at own risk.
  4. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Apart from exe file associations being messed up do you know what was the cause and actual extent of the issue?

Correct, most people wouldn't be able to make head nor tail of the script I posted to make these changes to the registry for resetting file associations but this was purely to show how it should look. To locate a HKEY is very easy with the guidance of the members here with the know how. I would also advise anyone thinking of using these little apps/utilities/or merging registration files into the registry as these can potentially cause more damage if misused or downloaded from an unknown source.

Yes and I would also urge anyone to make a full/part back of your registry before attempting any changes to any registry keys. I personally feel it is always best to see what you are changing or modifying, deleting this way if things go wrong you can easily back an individual HKEY or full registry to amend any issues. :wink:
  5. fords8 Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    People just want it fixed and really don't care what happened. I try to tell them just so they don't do it again. Most of the time they don't give me a chance to finish telling them. Most of the people I deal with are older too.
    The two people wouldn't even try to edit anything even with the help of people. You will find these little apps/utilities/or merging registration files into the registry have been used by more than a few people. If you read a little, you can see that and you can tell they are OK. I am not saying that they will work for everyone since you have a lot of factors that can come into play. Of course if you have no idea about something, then you should walk away from it.

Anyone that tryed to do anything should alway backup first.