Custom Search

Why does my earphone not working on one side?

Discussion in 'iPod, Zune & MP3 Players' started by UmiNoor, Apr 26, 2012.

1. UmiNoor Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I've bought branded earphones that cost quite a bit of money and I've also bought generic earphones that are cheap but no matter what the price of the earphones is, without fail after two to three months of usage, one side of the earphone will stop working. Why is that? Can anyone enlighten me?
  2. ThiefRaccoon Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's a common issue, and caused by the wires inside getting disconnected (whether at the 3.5mm connector or one of the earphone itself).
    A good over the ear headphones will usually last longer, but if you want earphones, try to get one with a L shaped connector.
    TazDevilLooney likes this.
  3. TheDespite Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & 8
    He's correct. You can try to repair it, but you should not even bother if you haven't worked with wires before. If it was expensive earphones like the ones that come with HTC's cell phones, you should look for a friend that knows how to repair them.
    However it's usually not worth the couple of hours of work to fix the cables, but just go to a store and buy another pair for 15$.

You should try avoid pulling or squeezing the wires, this usually causes cuts and disconnections.
  4. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & Opensuse 12.1
    As Racoon has said, this is a very common issue. If you even drop them a few inches it could knock the wires loose. I have also had it where playing music to loud would blow the little speaker. Your best bet is to buy some decent quailty head phones. I know they are not as light and portable as earphones, but they work better. OR you could get a set of earbudds, specifacally the kind that are made for ipads. They are pretty good and I have had mine for about 6 months now and they still work fine.
    ThisOldMan likes this.
  5. xanaxnwine Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Starter (32 bit)
    It's happened to me before too (with generic earphones only, though; originals last a lot longer for me) and it was because the cable was cut/disconnected. You can try fixing them yourself, but that's not always that easy.
  6. Hardison Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    windox xp
    I hate when that happens. Sometimes, if I twist the headphone cord and it usually works for awhile. After that no longer works, I just buy a new set of headphones.
  7. zacker150 Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows Server R2
    If you have Skullcandy, just use their lifetime warranty. All you have to do is send them in and they will give you store credit for the full retail price of the headphones. Then you order a new pair with the store credit, or use it to upgrade your headphones. If they ever break then you just repeat the warranty proccess.
  8. kingusama92 Newbie

Message Count:
    Hate this problem, actually have an iPod right in front of me sitting there with the same problem.

The short term solution is to fix it with paper. Take a little strip of paper (very little) and stick it into the earphone socket. Once the paper is in, push the earphone into the socket.

It should help secure the earphone and make it work from both ears. It's a pathetic issue that happens with iPods and other MP3 devices, but that's what happens after a little wear and tear.
  9. UmiNoor Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I bought a Sony earphone and it does last longer than the generic type I bought at bargain shops. I also have the suspicion that headphones could last longer than earphones because of the way you would get them off your ears. With earphones you would just jerk it out of your ears but with headphones, you wouldn't be jerking any wires. I've been told that you need to be careful with the wires because when they are bent, they can be broken. What about wireless headphones? Is that a good option?
  10. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    I have just bought some cheapo no-name headphones. When I was shopping for them, I did see some earbuds. Since you have used them for six months, how does the sound quality compare to headphones?
  11. Toxic Agenda Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Use the Sony Warranty, did you keep your receipt? Sony have an online RMA facility like CREATIVE... if they were that expensive then you need RMA.

Headphones should be designed much better. Ha but you see I have a solution to headphone problems... it is worth thrying this out on a few cheaper models first from the dollar store.

Glue a piece of plastic over the connections with extra strong glue - your headphones will be much tougher. You can be creative with this that is why you should try a few methods on cheaper headphones first.
  12. spiderman Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Win XP, Win 7
    Test the earphone on multiple devices and see if it does the same. If it does, then we can surely say that you got a defective earphone.
  13. UmiNoor Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I don't know if the warranty on the Sony earphone I bought for my daughter has expired or not. I have to look for the box where the warranty is. This is the first time I heard of gluing a piece of plastic over the connections to make headphones last longer. This is only for headphones, I presume and not for earphones?
  14. zacker150 Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows Server R2
    Don't do that. It'll more often than not void the warranty of what ever headphones you buy. Then if anything happens, you are basically screwed. Instead you should shop for headphones with a good lifetime warranty. Then when anything happens you just submit a claim and move on with life and your new headphones.
  15. steph84 Member

Message Count:
    This even happens to me when I buy Sony too. Now I make sure to take care of the way I store my headphones. If you bend the wire then this sometimes happens. Loosely wrap them when you put them away for storage and be careful how you store them while on the go too.
  16. Vlad Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    win xp
    Happens all the time with me. that's why I try to buy cheap earphones 6 at a time from eBay sellers.
  17. UmiNoor Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    My thoughts exactly. I think it's wiser to buy several cheap headphones than buy one that is expensive but will malfunction just like the cheap ones. But I heard the really expensive ones like those that are more than $100 last for quite awhile and have lifetime warranties too? What kind of headphones are these?
  18. Toxic Agenda Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Now did i state do this to the nice shiny new broken headset? No!

I said seek RMA.

I stated that a good thing to try is the method I stated on some cheap headphones - that way if there is no RMA that way in future should a connection snap off the solution is to toughen it up with the method learned when the warranty is up. It works i have done this and have had one set of Creative WOW headphones for 2 years - after they broke and after the warranty was out.
  19. ShadowAudio Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Common problem. I'd suggest that you contact your brand to see if they can figure out a warranty return. Also, never wrap the earphones around the iPod, and always ensure that they are in the included carrying case when you aren't using them, so accidents can be avoided.
  20. Isabellas2007 Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista
    Like was mentioned already it is the wires. The only ones I have found not to do this is the dollar pair my kids have. They can take all sorts of abuse, but I think it is because they were made for kids. So abuse is what they were meant for, they have had the same pair for about two years now without an issue.
Tags: earphone