Custom Search

Tutorial [Linux]How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Linux

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by NBK*Twitch, Feb 19, 2012.

1. psufootball Active Member

Message Count:
    I'm sold... my only concern now is whether to use Windows 7 and Ubuntu OR Windows 7 and Mint......
  2. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & Opensuse 12.1
    I would personally go with Mint. It imo is better suited for desktop use.
  3. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    If you want something light, you can actually use Ubuntu.

Not the standard distro. Use Lubuntu which comes with LXDE, a lightweight desktop environment. Linux Mint also has an LXDE distro and an XFCE distro. Between LXDE and XFCE, I find LXDE to be more convenient.

The reason I suggest using Lubuntu is that Linux Mint was basically created to make use of the Ubuntu database of programs without using the latest (somewhat confusing) Ubuntu Unity desktop environment. So why go round the bush when you can just install Lubuntu, access the Ubuntu database of programs and still have a lightweight desktop environment.

Myself, I deleted my Linux Mint when I found this out. btw if you are using an older pc, don't use the latest distro. Stick to Ubuntu 10.04. I found out the hard way that the latest distro needs a lot of tweaking to make it work on the older pcs.

Update.

I am now using a quad boot system. My choices are Slacko Puppy, Lubuntu, Windows 7 and Windows 8. All accessible from the start-up menu, courtesy of Grub4dos boot loader.
  4. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Actually Linux Mint was created before unity was even thought of, Its original goal was to make a true Linux Desktop that was as simple as possible to use. Its been about 7 years now and their goal has been met. It has many unique features over Ubuntu such as all of its home grown tools like mint nanny and the mint menu.
  5. Noobcakes Member

Message Count:
    Nice guide! I was about to google for this when I saw the link in your signature. I might have a noobish question though, but say I have malware on my hard, say a keylogger; if I boot into Ubuntu, will the keylogger still work? I was going to use Ubuntu as a sort of secure connection where I can use enter banking information without any worry. Sorry for the question, I just felt that it didn't warrant enough need to create a thread. Thanks!
  6. Mr.kewl Newbie

Message Count:
    That's a great trick mate, now I can use ubuntu and Windows7 together. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful trick.
  7. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    No if the keylogger is meant for windows it will only run on Windows. If you have or suspect you have a keylogger on your machine I highly suggest making a topic here so we can assist you - http://fixitwizkid.com/forums/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do.71/
  8. Noobcakes Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the answer! I have tried my best to keep this PC clean but I guess it won't hurt to keep safe. I'll check the guides there firsts and I'll post a topic if I find anything serious. Thanks again!
  9. JayRSD Newbie

Message Count:
    Wow this is useful.
    Thanks for your service , I will be trying it now.
    Been looking for something like this for a long time now!
  10. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    Now you have got me worried. I use Linux for everything except playing games. So has there been any reported cases of keyloggers written for Linux?
  11. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Yes there has been some keyloggers written for Linux in the past. I am not sure if any are out there in todays world though. Linux has a very small marketshare and alot of malicious programmers do not see a reason to waste their time with it. (except in the server market)
  12. KevinN Member

Message Count:
    Thank you for this guide, I'll try it out later! :happy:
  13. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    Or maybe the hackers don't get any bragging rights from hacking an open source software. Also I think Linux has generated a lot less aggro than Microsoft.
  14. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    No to is simply due to market share, They have hacked several open source software, google chrome for instance.They also commonly hack servers which use apache and mysql, which are both open source.