Custom Search

Tutorial [Linux]How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Linux

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by NBK*Twitch, Feb 19, 2012.

1. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & Opensuse 12.1
    Note : This tutorial is written assuming you have windows 7 already installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So you have Windows 7 installed and you want to dual boot Linux, well I will be showing you how.

The distribution I will be dual booting with is Ubuntu since it is the most commonly used.

Now lets begin, you first need to boot up the Ubuntu Live CD. One of the first screens you should get is this one -

ub1.png

Go ahead and click install ubuntu. After doing so the next thing you will get is the preparing screen as seen below. Go ahead and just click continue.*

ub2.png

Now you should get a installation type screen. Here is the most important step to dual booting. If you already have windows installed it should detect it and give you a screen like the one below.

ub3.png

You should choose the install ubuntu alongside windows,then click continue.Now you will have a screen to allow you to choose the size of the partitions. As seen below.

ub4.png

From here you choose the size you want each to be and then click continue. The installation will then begin and do the rest for you. All you have to do is wait until it is finished.

After rebooting you will be asked to enter the usual information like username and password and it will finish installing.

So there is how you dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu I hope this guide helps anyone out there wanting to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu.
    CityGirlLuv, TechJohn and Makcalable like this.
  2. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
    Nice work Twitch and thanks again :goodjob:
  3. Haze Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Mac OSX
    Wow, I didn't actually realise you could do that, learn something new everyday. Been looking to get into the Linux OS but didn't want to wipe out my Windows OS. I'll definately be doing this later on when I get the chance then, thanks for the great tip there Twitch!
  4. manea robert Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    win XP sp2
    Nice work , but you can use Virtual Box and have 2 OS simultaneously.
  5. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    While this is true, you will suffer a performance loss. Not to mention you cannot do everything in a virtual machine that you could if the OS was installed to hard drive.
  6. manea robert Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    win XP sp2
    I now but if If i had 8gb RAM and 2tb hdd . will not see diference . For example 4gb RAM for virtual machine ,etc. think so you have 2 pc on 1 desktop :happy: and you can use on 2 LCD. But for that you need a good PC.
  7. ZoidEcho Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I did do this before, but for some reason, the partitions went wrong, and i had to re-install Windows in the end. I'm quite happy with just Windows 7 though. Although sometimes i do miss good old OpenSUSE.
  8. spiderman Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Win XP, Win 7
    Great work NBK, I just got my Linux installed on my win7 because of this guide. Keep up the good work!
  9. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Yes you will see a difference because of video. You can only use up to 256 video memory in Virtual box. Which will really limit you. Not to mention you are still not using your real hardware for the OS, but instead using virtual.
  10. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    When was this? I only ask because Ubuntu has been pretty good with partitioning for install.(Holy cow I said something good about ubuntu)

Did you do manual partitioning? As for OpenSuse they have really improved and their installer is also pretty damn good and has not give me any problems during partitioning. However with Linux you could have something go right on 5 different machines and on the 6th HELLO PROBLEMS :giggle:.
  11. ZoidEcho Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Nope, I just used their partition resizing tool.
  12. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Well I am sorry to hear that, I guess you have that 6th computer :giggle:.
  13. psufootball Active Member

Message Count:
    What sort of specs do we need for this to work without a loss in performance? Because I like the sound of this, but I use my PC for gaming and I don't want to see more lag and stuff.
  14. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Well most Linux distrobutions run well with 1GB ram, and 2.0 GHZ CPU.
  15. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    I had been dual booting between Windows 7 and Slacko Puppy. Installed Windows 7 first, then Slacko Puppy. Then I bought a 3G usb modem and it only worked under Windows 7. So I deleted Slacko Puppy and installed Lubuntu hoping that Lubuntu might have the driver for the 3G usb modem.

Suddenly I found that I cannot even see my data partition under Windows 7. It's a separate partition from the boot partition and, most importantly, it contains my WoW folder, all 20Gb of it. After nearly having a nervous breakdown, I finally solved the problem using Easus Partition Manager. All that I needed to get Windows 7 to recognize the data partition was just to add a drive letter to it.

Just sharing in case someone runs into the same problem. btw Easus Partition Manager works great. And it's free. Really free. Forever.
  16. psufootball Active Member

Message Count:
    I'm not worried about not being able to run Linux. My old computer can do that just fine and it's got average specs. I'm worried that the space I dedicate to Linux will lower the performance on the Windows side for gaming.
  17. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Hard drive space amount will not effect game performance at all.
  18. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    I wouldn't worry about the space needed for Linux. You can install Ubuntu on less than 20Gb of space. If you can't spare that, you can run Puppy Linux from a pendrive. Even a 1Gb pendrive is ample for Puppy Linux.
  19. psufootball Active Member

Message Count:

I know that hard drive space doesn't effect game performance... my only fear (or rather, what I don't know about) is Linux using up other space like RAM or processor power or whatever when I'm in the Windows side.

I know that that probably sounds stupid so sorry for my newb-ness it's just that I've never had a dual-booting computer before. :sad:
  20. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    No it will not do that when you are using Windows. When you dual boot, and choose one operating system the other is not being used at all. That is another reason to dual boot over using a virtual machine.