Custom Search

Tutorial How To Speed Up Shutdown In Windows 7

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Makcalable, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
    How To Speed Up Shutdown In Windows 7

WaitToKillServiceTimeout

Here I will go through how to speed up the Windows 7 shutdown with a few simple clicks.

Firstly, if you feel that Windows 7 is pretty slow in shutting down and you want to speed this process up a little then the first thing you should do is make sure you have not been infected with a virus/malware etc. Things like viruses can cause your computer to perform very slow and when shutting down it can take for ever. So to be sure follow one or both of the guides in the links below.

http://fixitwizkid.com/threads/guide-do-you-think-you-have-malware-virus.144/
    http://fixitwizkid.com/threads/guide-kaspersky-tdsskiller-roots-out-rootkits.2231/
    http://fixitwizkid.com/threads/guide-removing-viruses-and-malware-using-superantispyware.6283/

Ok now if you are clean you can do the following.

Here I will run through how to set the 'Wait To Kill Service'

When shutting Windows 7 down it waits for programs/applications to save data and also waiting for other programs to close before shutting down and sometimes if you haven't closed a program shutting down can take a little longer sometimes.

It is recommended that before shutting Windows down that you save all data and close all open programs and applications.

Ok, Go to Start and in the search box type in Regedit and Hit Enter

0.png

Now you should see the Registry Editor Window like the one Below;

5.png

Now navigate to the following Key;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

1.png

Now in the main windows of the Registry Editor Right Click 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout' and then Select Modify.

You will see that the Default Value is set at 12000 which is around 6 Seconds if my calculations are correct.

You can change this by Entering a Value between 2000 - 20000

2.png

So, here I will Enter 2000 which equates to 2 Seconds to Wait to Kill service

Once you have entered your desired Value just Click OK

3.png

Now you will see from the Main Window of the Registry Editor the 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout' Value has been changed to your desired Value.

4.png

Well that's it, all done!
    TazDevilLooney likes this.
  2. TazDevilLooney Admin

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    This is an interesting little hack for windows 7 Makcalable. Thanks for the grate share and I’ll be sure to give a go. :happy:
  3. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    There is actually another thing that will help too and that is by changing the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown

Whatever the Value is set at just take 1 away.

Locate - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

1.png

Before attempting to modify ClearPageFileAtShutdown make sure you read the info here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834 just so you know exactly what you are doing.
  4. TazDevilLooney Admin

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Awesome thanks Makcalable :bounce2:
  5. Ryan Henry Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    You saved me a ton of time researching this on my own. One thing I will admit I'm not that great at is Regedit. It isn't because I don't know anything about computers, but mainly because I just never really took the time to study that part of my computer yet.
    Thanks again :happy::happy:
    Makcalable likes this.
  6. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

No problem Ryan, if you have any questions regarding the Registry Editor I will try and answer the best I can :happy:
    Ryan Henry likes this.
  7. iArvee Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Great share! :happy: Though I rarely turn my computer off, this helps me save time on reboots. :happy:
  8. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

I have always found it to be good practice to Reboot your computer every now and then, it can reset your RAM and refresh your system. It can also fix any underlying annoying issues too, I do Reboot once a day as I have always done this.
  9. Se7en Member

Message Count:
    Excellent, didn't know this.

I am experiencing a slowish shutdown in Windows 7 on my Laptop so hopefully this will do the trick.
  10. iArvee Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    I reboot my system every other day or right after I download a huge file. I'm assuming you leave your PC on too. Is that right?:happy:
  11. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

Well I used to leave it on 24/7 but not so much these days.
  12. Travis Member

Message Count:
    I did this and to my surprise it did save a noticeable amount of time on shut down :happy:
  13. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

Yes it is amazing how little thing like this can make a difference :wink:
  14. iArvee Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Curious, why not? I find it a lot better if I leave my system on with a few restarts here and there.
  15. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

Well that would be because of that small thing called money..... Some of us have to pay for the use of Electricity :happy:

Joking apart, these days for the work I do it doesn't require me to leave my computer on 24/7
  16. iArvee Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Lol! I'm sure I'll feel the pressure of Electric bills in a few years time. :happy:

I see. For my laptop, I keep it on hibernate with also a few restarts. Thanks again for the guide! :happy:
    Makcalable likes this.
  17. ComputerTrophy Newbie

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Hurm... Considering the time it takes for my laptop to shut down (very quick), there wasn't a noticeable improvement but thanks for the help.
    -Kelvin
  18. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

There are a ton of things to improve shutdowns and startups, just because this tip didn't work for you no point in giving up if it is bothering you, look for something else. There are many tutorials here that could help in that department.

You should also take a trip over to our security forums too and use a guide there to rule out any infections that might be the problem.

If you want to start a new thread regarding your issue then please feel free to post in the relevant forum :happy:
  19. Ryan Henry Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Haha! Yeah after I moved out of my parents house I decided to keep better track of my energy consumption. I would normally leave on all my lights, computer, water bed until I moved out on my own. I ditched the water bed, turn off the lights even if I leave the room just for a second, and my computer gets put in either extremely low power mode or just shut off when I am finished. The power in Illinois doubled again so I can really feel the pressure now.
  20. Kyrioskia Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    I'm sorry, I'm raining on a lot of parades, lately. But you should be a lot more critical before you start applying things in your registry that you hear other people are raving about.

You're basically giving less time to services to shut down cleanly. If this speeds up your system, it means you're killing them off faster than they can do it themselves. It's the equivalent of holding the power button pressed to shut down.

So, honestly, if you need to shutdown quicker, you might as well do that. It's still dangerous, but without the added danger of mucking about in your registry.

Similarly, not clearing the pagefile on shutdown can also cause a lot of issues. If you later get any problems with your computer, they're going to be very hard to fix because you can't tell whether it's from your messing around with registry values or because of something else.