Custom Search

Resolved How often does the GPS get updated

Discussion in 'GPS Devices' started by christy, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christy Newbie

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    windows 7
    Does anyone know how often the GPS is updated?
  2. TazDevilLooney Admin

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
    I would say you only need to update once a year or when there has been major road or house development. Welcome to Fix it Wizkid Christy :happy:
  3. Kidmom Newbie

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    OSX
    some gps get updated every month for bugs and other things.
    and like the other kid
  4. MyDigitalpoint DP Mystique

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Hardware update or data update? The first thing depend on your GPS device, the second depends on your provider, but while some services update maps and information on a regular basis, I believe that an update every 6-12 months is enough.
  5. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Just following on from what MyDigitalpoint said, for argument sake if you have a Tomtom Device you will usually get 1 year free data update for Maps and what ever else that came pre installed on the device or 3 opportunities to update within 1 year. After the year you will need to purchase things like POI, Maps, Safety Camera's. I have just splashed out on a new Map for my Device as it was well over due.

All other updates like software update for your device and or desktop software are free.

You should update at least once a week as you get a QuickGPS Fix update which allows a faster and more stable connection to satellites, and these QuickGPS Fix updates tend to get rolled out weekly, this is what I find with my Tomtom Device as I update every week for that purpose.

What GPS Device do you have?

Or were you just talking in General?
  6. Chris Ziegler Newbie

Message Count:
    I update my GPS every 2 months or so. Hey you need to update it often many new roads and highways are being built and completed every week. And you want to make sure that it calculates the quickest route to your destination.
  7. Eiza Member

Message Count:
    Do you mean your maps? I have a Tom Tom and the maps only get updated once a month or so, officially. However, users can make changes to the maps. For instance if you notice something is screwy, e.g. a road is indefinitely closed for construction, you can upload those changes. Other users have the option of downloading those changes. The downside is that since those changes are user generated, the accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Now if you are talking about how often your GPS updates itself to your position, that is a constant process. Note that when you turn a corner, your GPS updates to tell you the new street that you're on. Sometimes though the update process is affected by mountains or some other signal obstruction.

Hope this helps.
  8. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

Your Maps only get 3 Major Updates a Year, however if you have joined Map Share/Map Corrections you will get these updates ongoing. To receive changes from the Map Share community, your map must be less than 12 months old. (Not Supported by all Devices.)

I have map corrections which get updated almost every week, this is when people report mistakes on routes to tomtom and they will get verified by tomtom and then pumped down to be updated which is quite frequent.

New road constructions are in with the 3 Major Updates a Year from the Major Map Updates you will receive from when you purchased your map.

Updates for Speed Camera's will be updated accordingly within the yearly subscription.

All other updates will be provided as and when required from tomtom.

The most common update you will receive is the QuickGPSFix and this gets updated several times a week.

You should update you GPS Device every week to make sure you are always up to date and always make a fresh new BackUp too and keep the back in a safe place either on a USB Drive or another form of media storage.

bb.png

b.png

c.png
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.