Custom Search

How long does it usually take you to build traffic to your website?

Discussion in 'Website Development' started by Soulwatcher, May 13, 2012.

1. Soulwatcher Active Member

Message Count:
    About how long does it take you to build traffic to your website? It usually takes me a good three months before thing get really moving.

Greg
  2. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & Opensuse 12.1
    It varies site to site. If you have tons of competition it could take years. If you have a specific niche it could takes months. Then there is also the variable of how much you promote and how.
  3. Isabellas2007 Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista
    Like NBK said it takes a while to build up the traffic. So you should be careful when thinking about your site. For example, I have a site on Kitchenaid professional mixers and it only gets about one to two views per week. However, I have another site which pulls in close to fifty views a day.
  4. spiderman Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Win XP, Win 7
    It can take years of maintenance and optimization. There's always a competition out there so you have to be updated and aware of what's in demand out there.
  5. Isabellas2007 Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista
    Spiderman, it does take years, but if you use some of the blackhat methods which are taught you get your traffic in a matter of hours. Not that I use this, but I have some friends who have used this to make some quick cash and then dump their sites.
  6. TheMonkMan Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    I have had a site up and running for over 6 months, still don't have the ball rolling.
  7. Ridwan sameer Active Member

Message Count:
    It Really depends on the niche of your site, the audience available for it and the amount of effort you put in.
    In a generally crowded niche, Where there are alot of the same types, It cant take up to a year and a little bit of uniqueness on your side for your site.
  8. tetutato Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    It could even take days if you know where to advertise... :wink:
  9. Soulwatcher Active Member

Message Count:
    I am prepared to go the long run and put as much time in as needed. I just hope in a years time I have enough websites that are making enough money to cover the server costs. Either that I am going to have to teach myself linux because I am shelling out lots of money every month.

Greg
  10. PsuedoK Active Member

Message Count:
    On what? Hosting?
  11. Waynefire Active Member

Message Count:
    What are you spending a lot of money on? Hosting does not have to be that expensive! You can easily get a hostgator plan for 10 bucks a month. This is not that bad and what I use. For the traffic to come to your site it depends how much work you are doing on the site and the niche. If you market the heck out of it, then you can easily find the site ranking quickly.
  12. Soulwatcher Active Member

Message Count:
    I own my own server it costs $50 a month for the server and another $70 for the server management company.

Greg
  13. Haopee Online Tumbleweed

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows XP & Ubuntu 12.04
    Wow, $50. I'm even hesitant to shell of out $20 a year for my domain and you're paying $120 a month. It took me 3 months (tops) to have mine get a stable number of views. But I just blog and talk about stuff I like and love. I'm not sure if it's the same when it comes to specialty websites with SEO stuff or Technical Jujus.
  14. ThisOldMan Happy Wanderer in Cyber Space

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Debian and Windows 8 RP
    In that case, you better start learning about Linux. I assume you are using Centos on your server. What you can do is to make a partition on the hard drive of your home computer and install Centos on it, to get some idea of what it's like.
  15. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    20 a year for a domain? Who are you using for your domain o.o? I am paying 9.00 a year for mine.
  16. Ridwan sameer Active Member

Message Count:
    If you're just starting up your site and not actually earning money from it. You'd be better off using a host, It's cheaper aswell.
    Once your site picks up and you need the extra space, bandwith and control, Then you can switch.
  17. Haopee Online Tumbleweed

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows XP & Ubuntu 12.04
    $20 a year NBK:happy:. Sorry I forgot to append the word "name" after "domain". I'd be bankrupt in a couple of months if I were to pay for monthly hosting. I'm currently using a free platform to host my blog so I wouldn't have to worry about hosting expenses. I only bought a domain name which I originally paid $9.99 for. Then I was surprised when I found out it cost $19.99 to renew. And my renewal is coming up. :cry2:
  18. Ethann Newbie

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    On my website, I have 42 users, and we just pulled in our first "Spammer". With our 42 users, we have almost 2000 on-topic posts.
  19. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Whoops I do not know why I put month instead of year lol.
  20. josephvijay Pre-Moderation

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The time taken to build a quality traffic to a website depends upon the Efforts made on SEO. And yes the average time would be 3 months. The best way to get a traffic is to do lots and lots of SEO works. But remember to have a good content in your website. Never stop your SEO works. Concentrate on all fields of SEO equally. At the same time try with some automated SEO works. This could boost up your results with a better margin. An SEO tool could assist well in such case. For example a Search Engine Visibility Tool is available at www.Thewebpole.com. This tool does a lot of automated SEO steps. Some of them are,
    * Easy, one-click website submission to Google, Yahoo!, Bing, Ask, AOL and many more.
    * Easy one click submission to over hundreds of directories.
    * Improves search engine rankings with keyword and suggested topics tool.
    resulting in getting a better traffic by better margin.[/plain]