Custom Search

Resolved How can I tell if my iPad supports 3g?

Discussion in 'iPad, E-Book, and all other Tablet Devices' started by TheDave, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDave Newbie

Message Count:
    A friend of mine got an iPad from their boss as a gift (no he didn't steal it!). It didn't come with any documentation or a box, just the charger and iPad. He asked me to play around with it a bit.

It's actually an iPad 2 (with a camera) which is nice, but I can't tell from looking at it if it supports a 3g connection or not. Is there something in the settings that would indicate that? Also, if it did support 3g, I wouldn't know how to get signed up to use it.
  2. Graiden Active Member

Message Count:
    Cannot you find the information in some iPad 2 website? If you don't have a book, you should be able to find a manual on the Internet.
  3. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
  4. franimal Member

Message Count:
    If you have a Ipad 2 that supports 3g you will see an antenna on the back like this one:

115025_top.jpg

If you want to purchase 3g services from a provider the easiest thing to do is to turn off wifi and attempt to view a webpage (this only works with the 3g version) this will pull up a page prompting to you activate your services (paid).
  5. habibjp Member

Message Count:
    If its 3g then am i right in saying it should have a sim card slot? If so have a look around the edges and see if theres a slot which aint the speaker or the dock connector (it'll have a flush-to-the-surface cover).
  6. thatguywhy Active Member

Message Count:
    Yeah if it has a place to put a sim card.
    Then it supports cellular networks.
  7. crovax85 Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    The easiest way to tell if the iPad 2 supports 3g is to look at the back. If there is a Black strip on the top part of the back near the on/off button and headphone jacks, then you have a 3g ipad 2. That black strip is in fact the housing for the antenna for the 3g signal. So if you have that, you should be able to get 3g.
  8. juanita10 Member

Message Count:
    Yes, the black strip is the key indicator. Also you can go into your settings as well and turn off your WI FI and then try to access a webpage like someone else mentioned. If you have a 3G supported iPad, then you can use either Verizion or AT&T to sign up for 3G service for your iPad. Actually you can use any cellular provider you like that have a data plan for the iPad.
  9. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & Opensuse 12.1
    Regarding this Thread which hasn't been updated by the Thread Starter in 2 Weeks or more

This Issue is now assumed to be Resolved.

If you were unable to post due to reasons beyond your control then please send Myself or another member of Staff a Private Message to either Re-open the thread and/or update it.

Thank you
Tags: ipad
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.