Custom Search

Tutorial Google Chrome Tip: Remove Old Chrome Updates To Gain Space

Discussion in 'Web Browsing, Email & Other Internet Applications' started by Makcalable, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
    Google Chrome Tip: Remove Old Chrome Updates To Gain Space

Google Chrome receives an update on a regular basis but when it updates it doesn't remove the Old_Chrome.exe files therefore these files build up over time and each old version can take upto 80MB to 100MB of space which is quite a lot of space when you think about it and can be utilized in other ways. Removing these outdated chrome files is safe and easy to do, in fact there are a couple of way to do it.

1st option is to remove the Old_Chrome.exe files manually.

So, firstly you need to show all hidden files and folders and to do this go to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View Tab and then locate 'Show hidden files, folders and drives' and select it then Hit Apply.

Untitled.png

Then in the Address Bar at the top of the Explorer Window type in the following and then Hit Enter;

For Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username here\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application

For Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\username here\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application

1.png

0.png

Now unfortunately I have already removed the Old.Chrome.exe file so you won't see it in my image above, but all you look for is just that 'Old_Chrome.exe' then simply delete it.

• Do not Delete anything other than Old_Chrome.exe
    And That's it!

2nd Option is to remove the Old_Chrome.exe files with the aid of an application called OldChromeRemover

When you run OldChromeRemover Run as Administrator, you do not need to install this small application as it is portable based.

You will see as I mentioned before I had already removed my Old_Chrome.exe files so it won't show up here either.

But if you have Old_Chrome.exe files it will show you the full path and of how many outdated files that you have.

You then type in Y and Hit Enter to Remove them completely and safely.

3.png

That's it!

100% tested in both methods.

You can Download OldChromeRemover From Here
  2. NBK*Twitch Person Of All Kinds

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 & Opensuse 12.1
    Thanks for another great guide Makcalable :happy:.
  3. altrouge Active Member

Message Count:
    Well I have a Mac but I do use Google Chrome. I tried to look for the file in the package folder anyway but nada. Either I'm doing it wrong and there's another method or it doesn't work the same way on a mac.
  4. mscuban Guest

Message Count:
    Thank you. I always thought that you could delete older files for applications that have been updated. Now, if you could tell me how to accomplish this with Firefox that would be awesome. It's the only browser I use for customized security I have.
  5. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Unfortunately I have no idea how or where the folder is on a mac to perform this action, I am a Windows man. :happy:

Firefox does not store up old update versions like chrome so there is no need to worry about that :wink:
  6. yurithebest1 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Thank you Mak for the tip ! i am going to delete those old files right now in order to have more space in my computer.
  7. altrouge Active Member

Message Count:
    Oh no bother :happy: I do know where the folder is and did look for it, even opened the option to show hidden files but its just not there anywhere. Thanks anyway.
  8. Jessi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oy. This is actually my first brush with being told that Chrome does store the old update versions. I've used Firefox for years and never had to deal with it obviously, so didn't even think about the Chrome folders needing to be cleaned out.

Is there a reason they are kept?
  9. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

There is no clear cut reason to why Chrome leaves behind old version updates, but after searching for answers to this a while back I found that it does not pose any security threat should you choose to leave the older versions in place as there is no short-cut reference for them to be executed. Because Chrome updates itself directly from the Google Chrome servers it will automatically leave the older version behind, now is this a Windows issue or a Google Chrome issue? I don't know. But I do know it is safe to delete them or leave them.

When Firefox updates it does tend to remove the older version after successful update.

There are a few programs, applications and Drivers that leave behind older versions after a successful update but they pose no risk and can be deleted. But as for your Drivers such as display drivers you best leave them where there are should you need to 'roll back' your driver version.
  10. anish sangamam Member

Message Count:
    Yea this is a great tool. I had download it even before reading this one. Thanks for spreading the knowledge Makcalable. Similiar kind of post is posted in Raymond's blog.

The manual ways were unknown to me for its really useful.Thanks a lot
  11. MakingCents Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    So does removing the old versions speed up the browser or just clear up space on the computer? Just curious as to what the biggest benefit is to doing the cleaning process. Great tutorial and good find on the download by the way.
  12. Makcalable I Only Know What I Know

Message Count:
    Operating System:

Removing the Old_Chrome.exe files will not make Chrome faster unfortunately and not that it needs speeding up. This tip is showing how to prevent the updates from building up and to create a little more disk space for yourself :happy:
  13. spiderman Active Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Win XP, Win 7
    Wow, these are great tips. I found about 200mb of unused files. Great guide!
  14. CityGirlLuv Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Awesome! I never knew that Chrome left behind old versions but glad I got that cleaned up, though it wasn't even a lot at all.
  15. Hardison Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Operating System:
    windox xp
    This is a great tutorial. I downloaded the OldChromeRemover. It was quick and painless. I don't even use Chrome that much, but I still had old updates on my system.
  16. theafterhours Member

Message Count:
    I downloaded the OldChromeRemover and it removed everything in a timely fashion. Thanks for the tutorial!